Everyone knows the importance of sleep and its effect on our health overall. But if we are really honest with ourselves, do we really take on board all the advice we are given? In his fantastic book ‘Why We Sleep’ Matthew Walker explains how not getting our 8 hours a night can have a detrimental effect on our lives.
“The decimation of sleep throughout industrialised nations is having a catastrophic impact,” – Matthew Walker ‘Why We Sleep’Tweet
Now I am not going to go all heavy in regards its benefits but I will hopefully point you in the right direction with a few recommendations, which you can implement right away to help improve your sleeping experience.
- Turn all your screens onto night mode. This will help reduce the amount of blue light which can negatively affect sleep.
- If you are able, I would recommend staying away from all screens for 90 mins before going to sleep.
- Blackout the room through the use of black out curtains or wear an eye mask.
- Try to keep caffeine intake early in the day and limit its use after 2pm as coffee has a half-life of 3-5 hours.
- You can potentially use lavender essential oil as researchers have found it can aid sleep
This is just a basic insight into the importance of sleep in our lives and feel free to let me know in the comments below your tricks to better sleep.
Food for thought.
Till next time, Stay Stoic,